Monday, March 8, 2010

Beans vs. the baby

I don't know if anyone recalls the brilliant 80's movie Mr. Mom.  Like many movies from our childhood, my brother Ross likes to pick one or two quotes that he uses over and over and busts them out whenever possible.  One quote from Mr. Mom that he uses goes something like, "Are you crazy?  You're feeding your baby chili??" The baby in the movie gets a hold of a can of chili during a chaotic day and she ends up having atomic diapers.  Jack, aka Mr. Mom, wears goggles, rubber gloves, an apron, a clothes pin on his nose and uses tongs to change the diaper.  It's pretty hilarious. 

I think it was this movie that kept me from feeding Isaac beans.  Granted, beans aren't the only piece of the puzzle within chili, but what other ingredient can boast the song "Beans, beans, the magical fruit...."??  Hence my hesitation. 

Isaac is still on his picky eating streak so I thought for sure that he would resist the option of eating black beans.  My mother-in-law, Barbara, made some amazing black beans and rice yesterday so we thought we would give it a shot and gave him one.  He LLLOOOOOVVVVEEEEDDDD it.  So much so I couldn't put enough on his tray fast enough.  He would bounce with delight every time he would put one in his mouth.  I told Marcus then and there that he would have the great joy of changing his diaper the next day.

So beneath his very Norwegian exterior there certainly is a Brazilian with a great love for black beans.  

No comments:

Post a Comment