Monday, December 14, 2009

Baaaaaaahhhhh!!!!

When I was little I had what is considered MAJOR separation anxiety. M-A-J-O-R. So much so that when I was in the 5th grade I kind of flipped out and couldn't even make it through a class without bawling. For two weeks I would sit in a room behind the school secretaries and do my work from there. Looking back at it now, I'm so embarrassed to have acted like that and wonder what my problem was. I remember that feeling of dread and fear, which is something I never want Isaac to have to deal with.

Granted, we all get scared and have to deal with things we don't want to deal with. But one thing I didn't want to pass along to Isaac was the bone numbing separation anxiety. He's 10 1/2 months old and goes to the church nursery like a champ every Sunday. He loves it! All sorts of toys, girls to flirt with, things to get into, it's great!

Last night I experienced a taste of separation anxiety with Isaac. We had our yearly Christmas program at church and due to the fact that I could not get a babysitter for Isaac, he came along. The reason I wanted a babysitter for him was mainly due to the program starting at 7:00PM. Isaac is such a child of habit and is thrilled to go to bed at 6:30PM. I knew it would be tough, but he can deal with one late night in his little life. Marcus was already at the church and I had to be there at 6:00PM to run through songs with the choir. I dropped Isaac off in the nursery, he was happy and I went upstairs. At 6:55 one of the other mothers came up to me and said, "I'm really sorry, but Isaac is inconsolable. He won't stop crying."

KNIFE-TO-THE-HEART!!

We were the fourth performance in and things were going to start in 5 minutes. All I wanted to do was run down there and comfort him, but I knew if I did I would have to run right back upstairs and he would still be upset. So I decided to go down there right after we sang. Talk about the LOOOONNNNGGGEEEESSSTTT 20 minutes EVER.

We did our thing and I dart downstairs to the nursery. The poor little guy was NOT happy. I took him from one of the nursery workers and he is doing that little gasp for air after kids have been crying so hard. It was just the saddest thing. Being so beyond tired and having a new tooth come in was just a little too much for the boy. I gave him some teething tabs (seriously the GREATEST thing to happen to teething babies) and cuddled with him for about 20 minutes. I had to take off to do our second song, but after an initial freak out he was fine. THANK YOU LORD!!

I am so thankful that Isaac doesn't have separation anxiety. I don't think I could deal with it if he did!! I'd revert to my 5th grade self and bawl right there with him. I'm so tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment