Thursday, February 18, 2010

And so it begins....

Here we go.  I'm going to say it.  It's here.  It's starting to show its ugly face. We have gradually entered into an area of...dare I say it...temper tantrums.  Yes, one year old temper tantrums.  Truth be told, it's nothing horribly bad nor a phase where I want to pull every last hair out of my head, but I see Isaac starting to generate some genuine feelings about certain situations.  Sometimes I just tell him, "Little dude, it's really not that bad.  You will live.  I promise." And other times I just laugh.  Like any good mother would. 

It started with Isaac wanting to chew on his nightlight.  It's actually a very cool nightlight and I don't blame him one bit for wanting to carry it around and consider it a very non-cuddly little friend, but we draw the line at him chewing on it.  I give him three, "Isaac, that's not for babies.  We don't chew on nightlights." He generally looks at me, puts it down then immediately picks it back up again, and starts to put it in his mouth.  Like he's thinking, "Oh yeah, she's forgotten about that by now." I say this again and we go through the situation again.  The third time I pull it out of his mouth, which irks him and he begins to cry like it's the end of the world and someone just told him that graham crackers aren't an actual food group. 

He snaps out of it pretty quickly and moves on to something else.  But it's happening a few times a day and I know this is just the beginning.  Thankfully he is an overall very happy and joyful kid, so I focus on that when "Mr. Nasty" starts to emerge.  It's an inevitable aspect of kid-dom.  Lucky us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment