Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sinus suckers...

I've hit a point in Isaac's life where I'm OK with him eating something that has fallen on the ground, not freaking out when he finds one of the dog toys and starts to chew on it, or picks up the side of the rug and, for one reason or another, wants to put it in his mouth.  Don't get me wrong, I take whatever he has put in his mouth and say, "Ick!  That's gross!" and not encourage him chewing on everything he finds, but I don't throw a little nutty like I used to.  I think every mother hits a point where they go, "Ehh, it's fine.  He's building immunity..." and we move on. 

Thankfully Isaac has been quite the healthy kid and we haven't had to face much sickness in his first year of life.  So when he came down with a monster cold I thought, "Well, we had it coming." That was two weeks ago.  Over the weekend he started coughing...all...night...long.  And it wasn't that, "Dang, I have a tickle in the back of my throat" cough.  Oh no, no, no.  It was the "GGGGRRRAAAAAAA!!!!  I'm coming out of the depths of your son's toenails" kind of cough. 

In steps our amazing, I can't say enough good things about her, Dr. Jennifer Cox of Mercy Children's Clinic in Franklin, TN.  I called her last week and she said that if he doesn't get better over the next few days then we need to make an appointment.  The weekend hit and, wohoooo boy, did that cough turn it's ugly head and say ROAR! 

I called for an appointment yesterday and found out the earliest they could get us in was three days later.  I guess every child in middle Tennessee is sick at the same time.  So I called Dr. Cox, explained his symptoms and she said, "Yeah, he needs to get in right away." So off to Franklin we go...

Two hours, a breathing treatment, and a screaming child later, we find out he has RSV (respiratory syncytial virus).  Thankfully it is treatable and hopefully he is on the tail end of it.  They sent us home with a nebulizer and we have to give him breathing treatments every 4-6 hours for the next 48 hours.  If you hear a pissed off kid screaming, don't worry, it's just Isaac throwing a fit from his breathing treatment.  I think we can safely say he doesn't like things strapped to his head. 

All in all, I am so thankful for loving and caring medical doctors and health care.  Seriously thankful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment